I've watched enough Clean Sweep episodes that the following mantra is now my personal mantra:
If I haven't used it within the last 6 months, it's getting tossed. I simply want minimalism and the peace and order it will bring into my life.
So guess what? I started going through boxes in the garage. Do I seriously need bank statements and receipts from 1997? Why am I storing boxes and boxes of empty photo albums, candles, xmas ornaments, linen, curtains, etc. Yes, I just shed approximately 30 boxes of emotional and psychological weight out of my life!!
I've come across another fabulous non-profit organization to donate to in addition to the ones I found last year.
- Out of the Closet Thrift Stores is a nonprofit chain of thrift stores owned and operated by AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF), a Los Angeles-based global organization that provides medical, preventative, and educational resources for patients. AHF is the nation's largest non-profit HIV/AIDS healthcare, research, prevention, and education provider. Out of the Closet thrift stores generate income to help fund the medical services AHF provides for those patients who are unable to pay. Proceeds from Out of the Closet Thrift Stores directly benefit AHF.
I loved the vibe of the store, the employees, and the very obvious bold positive signs promoting SAFE and HEALTHY LIFESTYLE PRACTICES. The fact that they help the community, i.e. those people who cannot afford basic medical care or preventative medicine, with information, products and healthcare really pulled my heartstrings. These are the kinds of charity organizations I've always supported my entire life.
Well, I have A LOT of great stuff, of which the proceeds, could help this organization do their thing. So yah, I've filled my car to the brim - trunk and the entire interior - and have made 4 car trips so far.
Sheri A's (zooreturns) amazing Disney Scrapbooks for the Make a Wish Foundation (MAW). We contributed all sorts of hand made embellishments, supplies, etc towards the making of albums for kids who's last wish was to visit Disney World. Sadly, as is with life, life catches up with all of us and Sheri was no longer able to continue the effort.
I found another pizza box full of Disney page kits, shakers, etc that I had been saving. My style has changed since then, so instead of it going to waste, this was the impetus for my search of yet another MAW type organization which could put these to good use.
Via a quick google search, I found a new contact, Make-A-Wish Missouri, Southern Missouri Region, that is willing to take Disney related supply/completed page/album donations:
Make a Wish – Regional Office So Missouri
1510 W Elfindale
Springfield, MO 65807
Their Disney Scrapbook Wish Page
Their Organization Website
Their Facebook Page
All that purging was A LOT of work and it's been overwhelming I'll admit. So much so that I decided I needed a break from it all and do something I enjoy.
I decided to make up as many cards as I possibly could over the long 4th of July Holiday (I took Thurs and Fri off, so it became a 5 day weekend! Whoohoo!) to donate to the effort of From Our Hearts.
Lo and behold, my final tally was 184 cards total! I don't even know how much card stock I used up too as a result. It just felt great!
Here's what the top filled to the brim of the large flat priority box looks like:
And underneath all of those cards were these along with 5 spools of Bazzil ribbon that are also being donated:
- more found card fronts,
- personally received handmade cards from friends that I repurposed,
- cards I made for Design Team assignments
- cards I made using paper piecing swap embellishments, i.e. the shaker cards that I thought would be fun for kids, and
- cards I made from finally cracking open one of my Club Scrap kits I still have (actually I won it back in 2005 at a Scrapbook Expo since I've long sold off most, if not, all of my Club Scrap kits on ebay for a killing - I still thank my lucky stars I sold those off when I did when I could garner close to $80 for each of those retired kits.)
- cards that were incomplete from various classes, i.e. most likely convention/expo, CKU, Heidi Swapp events.
So I'm definitely sticking with the New Years' resolutions I made in 2011 that I'm still upholding.
Here's my tally of my personal donations to From Our Hearts as of this posting:
- 2012 Donations = 150 Pens & 184 Cards
- 2011 Donations = 598 Card & Card Fronts
- 2010 Donations = 751 Card & Card Fronts + 4500 Envelopes