Sunday, December 14, 2008

Blunders of a Blogging Newbie - A Belated Tutorial Share

So, I'm cleaning up some files on my laptop when I realized that I never did share this tutorial on my blog for a challenge I shared for Paper Popsicles way back in July for one of our cyber crops.

My challenge and tutorial was to create a card using a "fishscales" border since I was and am still very much in love with circles. My fishscales was inspired by Christine Middlecamp who had done a tutorial on her blog earlier this year on the same technique.

Step 1: Pull out a circle punch (I used a 1 1/4th sized circle punch as it was closest to the circle design of the patterned paper.)

Step 2: Punch out circles from 2 different types of patterned papers. Choose one with a pattern or bold color and for the second, choose a plain one.

I hand cut the round medallions that was in the patterned paper, and then used a metallic gold paint pen to outline all the edges to give it a bit more dimension. I chose my circle punch that was most similar in size to the medallions and punched out solid grey circles. I outlined the grey circles too with my gold paint pen for consistency.

Step 3: Now in this picture, you can see that I drew a straight line on my base cardstock where I wanted to line up the circles. This base line ensures that I have straight "fishscales" once they are all laid down.



Step 4: I laid down the FULL grey circles first along my pencil line.

Step 5: Then I put down the medallions from the patterned paper that were cut into halves.

Step 6: Lastly, I slipped another row of medallion halves UNDERNEATH the 2 completed rows.

I trimmed the excess from the sides as needed.

Voila!!

Here's my finished card using this technique. I loved it so much that I used the same technique to create a border for a layout too!



Here's my layout I created of my sweet kitty. The Paper Petals paper mixed well with my Making Memories, ki, Hambly, 7 gyspies and Prima stash.


PICTURE WILL BE BACK ON FEB 18TH, 2009

Here are some close ups of my layout and of the fishscales border.


PICTURE WILL BE BACK ON FEB 18TH, 2009


PICTURE WILL BE BACK ON FEB 18TH, 2009

I will share additional belated tutorials in the next coming weeks. As a blogging newbie, it didn't occur to me, back then, to actually share them on my blog too when I was posting my tutorials on message board forums. Live and learn!



"Happy Birthday" Card
Paper:
Upsy Daisy "Paper Petals" line; Bazzil Grey CS
Embellishments: American Crafts Apha Stickers; Michaels brand Ribbon
Accesories: Circle Punch; Metallic Gold Paint Pen; Martha Stewart Royal Butterfly Punch

"K is for Kitty Cat" Layout
Paper: Upsy Daisy "Paper Petals" line; Making Memories Noteworthy Ledger Paper; Basic Grey Euphoria; Hambly Transparency; Bazzil Grey CS
Embellishments: 7 Gypsies "K is for Kitty Cat" 97% (Phrase) Stickers; KI Bloom Chipboard; Lil Davis "Simply Adorable" chipboard; Prima Flowers; K&Co Wild Saffron Fabric brads; CK jeweled brads; Heidi Swapp bling; Doodlebug Paper Lace Trim; Journalling Spot from Etsy;
Upsy Daisy "Paper Petals" Rub Ons; EK Success Stickers
Accesories: Circle Punch; Metallic Gold Paint Pen; Martha Stewart Royal Butterfly Punch

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my world - this tutorial is amazing. Thanks so much for sharing with us, I so need to lift your ideas. Gorgeous projects

Eva said...

I still love this, and yet to make a card using this tutorial. I am glad you shared it on your blog, so I can look back at it...One of these days...

Jenny B in Indy said...

Very cool, Ching! Thanks for sharing and your kitty cat is so precious!

robin said...

what a beautiful card, Ching! Your work is just awesome!

Unknown said...

Very cool tutorial!! Love your LO and card!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! This is absolutley gorgeous! I'm going to have to give this a go.

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com